2020 DATES WILL BE POSTED SOON!
$10 per person
The number of Ladder participants is capped at 50 men and 50 women. A waiting list will be available online once this capacity is reached.
April 27 to August 25, 2019
How to sign up
- Online registration for the Ladder opens on April 13, 2019 @ 10.am. Please note that Visa and MasterCard payments are accepted.
>> Click here to sign up.
- You may also sign up in person at the Court Managers’ office (cheque, Visa or MasterCard only). Please note Court Managers are not authorized to accept cash payments.
- After you have made your payment, please send an email to the Socials Director at: email@example.com. Be sure to include your first and last name, phone number and preferred email address. At the Socials Director’s discretion, you may be requested to attend a rating assessment session beforehand.
Booking court time
- Participants are encouraged to book their Ladder matches for Friday evenings as three courts are given priority booking for Ladder matches from 7 to 9 p.m. Courts can be booked up to 1 week in advance in person or over the phone with the Court Managers. First come, first served.
- Ladder matches cannot be booked on Tuesday and Thursday evenings between 7 and 10 p.m. as some courts are committed to InterCounty league team play during these times.
- When booking, please indicate to the Court Manager that it is for a Ladder match.
- The Howard Park Ladder is a singles ladder that utilizes a box-style format. The box ladder format is intended to encourage more competitive and consistent play across a wider variety of matches throughout the summer.
- Ladder participants begin each month in a box consisting of five players of similar skill levels. See example.
- Within the calendar month, you must arrange to play each of the other four players within your box. All players are equally responsible for arranging matches with their opponents. Participants must respond to Ladder requests within 72 hours; failure to do so results in a loss by default. Declining to play an opponent is also be recorded as a default.
- Based on the outcome of a match, points are awarded to each player, which are used to move players up and down the Ladder on a monthly basis.
- Matches should be booked only for the current month. Opponents change from month to month as boxes are re-calibrated based on points accumulated. The top two players move to the upper box, the bottom two move to the box below, and the middle player remains. In event of a tie of total points between players in the same box, the Socials Director will determine the placement of players based on a number of factors, including if points awarded are default points versus earned from games played, or the outcome of the previous match between the two players.
- Length of match: Each match is a 45-minute pro-set (first to win eight games, with a two-game differential). If the match is tied at seven games apiece, a 12-point tiebreak is played to a two-point advantage.
- Lateness (based on the Court Managers’ office clock): If an opponent is late by five minutes or less, they begin the match down one game. If they are between five to 10 minutes late, they begin the match down two games. If they are over 10 minutes late, a default loss is recorded.
- Serves: Each player gets first in, to a maximum of five attempts, for their first two service points.
- Deuces: One deuce only. The next deuce is sudden death.
- Point system: Points will be assigned automatically by the system when scores are entered under: Tennis Ladder > Enter Score tab.
- Cancellations: If a game is cancelled with less than 24 hrs notice, it will be considered a defaulted match.
What happens if a player does not play any matches in a calendar month?
A player who does not play any matches in a calendar month will be removed from the Ladder and will not be reimbursed for the cost of joining the Ladder, regardless of vacation or injury. At the Socials Director’s discretion, this individual may be reinstated provided there is space available, but will be required to pay the entry fee again.
What happens if my opponent doesn’t show up because he/she thought the weather didn’t look favourable or the courts were too wet for play?
If weather is ever in question, both players should call the on-duty Court Manager to get a ruling on if the courts are suitable for play. If a player did not check with the Court Manager and chose not to show up for the match, a default win will be awarded to the player left waiting.
What happens if it begins to rain at the beginning/during match?
Check with the Court Manager to determine if the courts are suitable for play. If they are not, agree to the current score, re-book to a mutually agreeable time and continue the match at that time where you left off.
How do I book a court in advance for Friday night play?
After confirming with your opponent, call the Court Managers at the Club office ((416) 769-5600).
What happens if I need to cancel a court on a Friday during Ladder play?
Please notify the Socials Director immediately so that the court can be reassigned to other Ladder participants.
What happens if we run out of time?
In case of running out of time, whoever is leading the game is the winner (unless players mutually agree to play another day). In case of a tie, one of the players will enter the game as tied in the system.
Still have questions?
Please contact the Socials Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All programs are subject to change or cancellation.