** Men’s ladder is currently SOLD OUT. If interested, please login and add your name to the waitlist. Women’s is still open. **
Join the Howard Park ladder as an additional way to engage in friendly, competitive singles tennis. New this year, a box ladder format will be played, see additional details below.
The Howard Park Ladder is divided into two categories:
- Men’s: All ratings
- Ladies’: All ratings
$10 per person
- Sign-up begins on opening day, April 9. Please note, the number of ladder participants is capped at 50 men, and 50 women. A waiting list will be available online once this capacity is reached.
- Play begins on Monday, May 2 and ends on Sunday, August 21. Ladder matches are encouraged to be played on Friday nights as three courts are given priority booking for ladder matches. If this is not possible, please arrange games for another day during club hours, with the exception of when teams are committed to InterCounty matches, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 7 – 10 p.m. When booking, please indicate to the Court Manager that it is for a ladder match.
How to sign up
- Starting April 9, click here to sign up online in the Club Management System (Visa and MasterCard payments accepted). Note: You must first login with your username and password in the upper right hand corner, and then click on the Tennis Programs tab to register.
- You may also sign up in person at the Court Managers’ office (cheque, Visa or MasterCard only). Please note court managers are not authorized to accept cash payments.
- After you have made your payment, please send an email to the Socials Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your first and last name, phone number and preferred email address. At the Socials Director’s discretion, you may be requested to attend a rating assessment session beforehand on April 23 or 24 from noon to 12:30 p.m. Rain dates are April 30 or May 1 from noon to 12:30 p.m.
Format & Rules
New this year, we are introducing a box ladder format for singles tennis as a way to improve the player experience and encourage more competitive and consistent play across a wider variety of matches throughout the summer.
- Ladder participants will begin each month in a box consisting of five players of equal levels/ratings. See example.
- Within the calendar month, you must arrange to play each of the other four players within your box. All players are equally responsible to arrange matches with their opponents. A response to a ladder request is required within 72 hrs of when an email/voice mail is sent; failure to do so will result in a loss by default. Declining to play an opponent will also be recorded as a default.
- Based on the outcome of a match, points will be awarded to each player, which will be used to move players up and down the ladder on a monthly basis.
- Matches should be booked only for the current month. Opponents will change month to month as boxes will be re-calibrated based on points accumulated, so that the top two players move to the upper box, bottom two move to the box below, and the middle player remains. In event of a tie of total points between players in the same box, the Socials Director will determine the placement of players based on a number of factors, including if points awarded are default points vs. earned from games played, or the outcome of previous match between the two players.
- Length of match: Each match is a 45-minute pro-set (first to win 8 games, with a 2 game differential). If the match is tied at 7 games apiece, a 12-point tiebreak will be played to a 2-point advantage.
- Lateness (based on the Court Managers’ office clock): If an opponent is late by 5 minutes or less, they will begin the match down 1 game. If they are between 5-10 minutes, they will begin the match down 2 games. If they are over 10 minutes late, a default loss will be recorded.
- Serves: First in, to a maximum of 5 attempts, on the first two points of the match.
- Deuces: One deuce only. The next deuce will be sudden death.
- Point system (see example): A binder will be kept at the Court Manager’s office to track the progress of box ladder play. Immediately following a match, the total number of games won by each player should be recorded in this binder, with the winning player’s total circled.
At the end of each month, the Socials Director will apply additional points based on wins, losses, and ties, based on the following:
a. Winning player total points = number of games won + 3 bonus points
b. Losing player total points = number of games won + 1 bonus point
c. Tie (each player) = number of games won + 2 bonus points
In the event of a default:
a. Player who defaults receives 0 points
b. Their opponent receives 8 points + 3 bonus points
c. Please email the Socials Director in the event of a default, and record the loss as a default on the master chart (8 points). More than 1 default per month will result in removal from ladder.
Click here for a pdf printable copy of the format and rules.
What happens if a player does not play any matches in a calendar month?
A player who does not play any matches in a calendar month will be removed from the ladder and will not be reimbursed for the cost of joining the ladder, regardless of vacation or injury. At the Socials Director’s discretion, this individual may be reinstated provided there is space available, but will be required to pay the entry fee again.
What happens if my opponent doesn’t show up because he/she thought the weather didn’t look favourable or the courts were too wet for play?
If weather is ever in question, both players should call the on-duty Court Manager to get a ruling on if the courts are suitable for play. If a player did not check with the Court Manger and chose not to show up for the match, a default win will be awarded to the player left waiting.
What happens if it begins to rain at the beginning/during match?
Check with the Court Manager to determine if the courts are suitable for play. If they are not, agree to the current score, re-book to a mutually agreeable time and continue the match at that time where you left off.
How do I book a court in advance for Friday night play?
After confirming with your opponent, email the Socials Director with the preferred time and date, at: email@example.com.
What happens if I need to cancel a court on a Friday during ladder play?
Please notify the Socials Director immediately so he can use the court for other ladder players.
Still have questions?
Please contact the Socials Director, Harris Daniel, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All programs are subject to change or cancellation.